10.18.2012

candid conversation

Lately I've been reminded of some very important principles.

First: we CANNOT and WON'T EVER understand things people are privately going through. 
So we must not be judgmental, for better OR worse
(none of that "why does she act like that?!" and "his life is perfect" stuff)
And second: Christlike love for our fellow man is the best way to help us avoid the unreasonable judgement of others, AND to be happier.


Since we moved to DC, we've gotten comments from people about how fun and perfect 
our lives must be right now.

It definitley HAS been a blast thus far.
And certainly we are making memories that we will hold dear, for forever.

But just to keep things in perspective..... there have also been some very difficult days.

I've been having a bit of an identity crisis, in a lot of ways, since Christian and I got married. 
The last few weeks have been especially trying. 

You know like when you wake up from a really long nap in the middle of the day, and you are really grouchy and you can't figure out where you are for a good 2 minutes?

Yeah, well basically that's been me for the last 6 months haha!

So I guess all I'm trying to say is everything is NOT sunshine and rainbows over here all the time.
There are days I would like to kick Christian in the shins, and I'm sure he'd like to put on a nice pair of soccer cleats and do the same to me. 
And maybe there are other days when I just want to quit life and move to a remote island and be a fisherman for the rest of forever.

But we all have days like that.
And that's just real life, isn't it?

And as I evaluate ours from an insider (mine) and outsider's (yours) perspective, I've come to appreciate the lives of everyone else around me.

Does that make sense? 

I'm learning more and more to be patient with other people's "craziness", including my own.
And just as equally to be patient with other people's perceived "perfection".

Because no matter what, no matter who you are and no matter the life you live......
Everyone is struggling. 

And everyone needs to feel a little less judged and A LOT more loved. 

4 comments:

Alexis Kaye said...

I agree Brooke :) you're so great! I hope even though you're going through a lot that things are mostly okay.

Lana said...

I like this. Judging is hard.

On a different topic. I was facebook stalking people I used to know and I saw that an old bf of mine now lives in DC for the washington seminar. That's what Christian is doing right? Do you know a Dalton Haslam?

If you do, probably don't mention you know me. I am NOT judging him based on what he was like the last time I saw him, BUT at that time he told me never to speak to him again. He pretty much hated me. I'm sure he's more grown up, but, you know. old bfs...gross.

I just wondered if you knew him. He was a really fun person, and it looks like he's engaged.

Am I super creepy for creeping on exes? I just like to see that they are doing ok, or when I'm vindictive that I am doing much better than they... and that rhymed. so there. the end.

Marinda said...

Brooke, I just love reading your blog!! I hope you don't think I'm a stalker since I live about 2 feet from you, and then sit in my room probably about 5 feet from where you are sitting and read about your life instead of actually, I don't know, have a real conversation with you about your life....haha. But I liked this post a lot! You said it just right. Everybody has their ups and downs, and it's really easy just to perceive other's ups and wonder why I'm not cheerful and happy all the time like they are. Then you start developing ideas in your head that there's something wrong with you....it's a vicious cycle. It's refreshing to hear that I'm certainly not the only one who has hard days. I mean, I knew that, I just forget sometimes. You are great!

Marinda said...

Brooke, I just love reading your blog!! I hope you don't think I'm a stalker since I live about 2 feet from you, and then sit in my room probably about 5 feet from where you are sitting and read about your life instead of actually, I don't know, have a real conversation with you about your life....haha. But I liked this post a lot! You said it just right. Everybody has their ups and downs, and it's really easy just to perceive other's ups and wonder why I'm not cheerful and happy all the time like they are. Then I start developing ideas in my head that there's something wrong with me....it's a vicious cycle. It's refreshing to hear that I'm certainly not the only one who has hard days. I mean, I knew that, I just forget sometimes. You are great!

Related posts

.