3.20.2013

welness wednesday: protein packs a punch

*Just fyi, I am MEGA proud of myself for doing this today, because I'm feeling crappy and mad at the world, and the last thing I want to be talking about is protein shakes ha. But I made a goal and I'm sticking to it, for the win!*

So today, we're talking protein.
And man do I love this stuff!
I've found that my muscles recover much quicker, and with less soreness, when I'm consistently drinking protein shakes.

HERE'S A STORY:
This all started freshman year at BYU, and I would simply mix my Muscle Milk protein powder with water and then somehow force it down.
(It was a real struggle. 
I'm talking nose-plugged, chugging for my life struggle.
That stuff is NOT pleasant.)
Then there was the one time when the lid of my cup wasn't on tight enough, and I started shaking it, and protein powder water EXPLODED EVERYWHERE, right before I was supposed to start heading to campus. After mopping it up out of our shower
(seriously)
 I decided I needed a different method.

Then I got a magic bullet. 
OH THE MAGIC BULLET. 
You've saved me.
 Christian and I are still using it and all its single-serving glory.
Here is our current favorite mix:

2 scoops Muscle Milk light powder, vanilla flavored
1 cup water or milk
1 packet Truvia sweetener
3/4 cups froze berries or fruit
(I prefer frozen mangos, pineapple, grapes etc. 
Berries and their seeds are SO annoying to slurp down)

And now let's talk about types of shakes.


I have been using Muscle Milk light for the last 5 years, and I LOVE it.. 
After doing a fair share of research, I've found that I definitely prefer it to other powders.
Being a woman, I like to avoid the extra fat and carbs that a lot of other heavy-duty shakes have.
SUCH THE DIVA.
Muscle Milk is awesome because it still has tons of protein and vitamins without the extra stuff. 
 It also doesn't taste too bad either.
I feel a SERIOUS difference when I'm getting extra protein in my diet. 
If you're looking for a way to eat a little healthier, build stronger muscle, and banish post-workout soreness, I HIGHLY recommend it!

(We are still trying to find the best protein powder for Christian, being that he is a man and all. 
He doesn't mind using Muscle Milk light, but if you have any recommendations, send them our way!)

**also, I'm not going to pretend like I love this stuff.
In fact, I still have to plug my nose and chug away. But the benefits outway the cost, right??**

2 comments:

Chantel said...

YES! I love this post because I am one that does water and protein powder.. and I HATE it! Haha! I'll have to try this recipe. Also, I'm the same as you today, mad at the world. I feel like the world is all conspiring to bother me today. So I'm taking a little blog reading break. Love you so much Brooke!! I just think you are so great! Thanks for posting!

Nicole said...

haha I forgot about when your shake exploded everywhere.
Girl, you need to get the 100% whey protein powder from costco, it's my very favorite. Christian would like it, there is nothing light about it. I guess I need man protein?

I love you and I'm glad that you've discovered a better method than you had freshman year :)

Related posts

.