4.10.2013

wellness wednesday: it actually IS about the bike

 *** Here's a little sob story for you:***
So Christian and I have been diligently attending a Tuesday morning cycle class this whole semester. We LOVE the teacher.... and so does everyone else apparently. 
It's gotten so popular over the last few months, that if we don't get there 20 minutes early (not even an exaggeration), we don't get a bike. Well, real life struck yesterday morning and we only got there 10 minutes early. And much to my dismay, there were no more bikes. I was so pissed. And I'm still kind of irritated. 
So this is why I'm writing this post today ha.

Let's talk about cycling.
This is me just loving on my bike.
And oh how I really do LOVE it.

Cycling is a GREAT workout, especially if you need to switch things up a bit.
Here are some of the wonderful benefits I've noticed, at least for myself:

- I am MUCH more motivated to push myself when I'm on a bike. 
When you're running, for instance, it's super easy to just stop and walk whenever you want to.
(Number one offender right here)
However, when you are on a bike, you can only go so slow. 
In light of that, I usually find myself pushing myself much closer to my personal limit when I'm on a bike. 
(So much so that in the last class, my resistance was so high I literally was unable to pedal at the end of the song. HA!)

- It's so much better for your joints!
One thing that's starting to become more important to me is being able to exercise as I continue to age.
I want to be hiking and biking and swimming and being all kinds of active when I'm 65-70!
Keeping my joints healthy is a big part of this. 
I've got terrible knees, and biking is really helpful for that. 
It keeps my muscles nice and strong without the high impact of say, running.
Win, win!

- You go SO MUCH FASTER on a bike!
And who doesn't love feeling like a speed demon?!?

One downside to cycling is it definitely takes more time to get in a good workout. 
Where running 3 miles may take about 30 minutes, and you burn a good amount of calories, you have to bike TWICE that long to get the same effect. This proves hard sometimes if you are tight on time, but for me, it's SO WORTH the sacrifice!

I'm so happy road biking season is right around the corner! 

1 comment:

Autumn @ Autumn All Along said...

I love biking too! When Devin traveled a lot early in our marriage I would bike at he gym thirty miles everyday. I loved it! Now I am just waiting for clearance to exercise and I need to tune up my bike again. This post made me feel pretty pumped about it :)

Related posts

.