4.17.2013

wellness wednesday: people you see at the gym

I REALLY love my gym. 
I've been a member at 24 hour fitness for 11 years now
(Thanks for the early inauguration to the world of working out, mom and dad!)
and in that time, I've seen my fair share of normal people, weirdies and over-enthused meat heads.
Here's a list of people you can expect to see at probably any gym, and people I've most DEFINITELY seen at mine.

-The annoyingly fit old person.
Seriously grandpa? You are running faster than that 25 year old man!
(And I hope I look half as good as you when I'm 70!)

-The meat-head/30 year old single guys who only come to lift, thus they wear their beloved high socks and vans. 
I don't mind that style, but amiright when I think there's a time and place for everything?
And I'm sorry, but your Journey's footwear does NOT belong at the gym

-The women who socialize and don't really work out.
Don't get me wrong, I love the elliptical.
And I love to chat with other women. 
But when you combine the two, you basically get a whole lotta distraction and nothing done.
All those calories you THINK you burn.... well....
You actually don't burn them because oh hey you've been moving at a level 1 pace for the last hour, lady.

-The old guys in cut off jeans. 
Way too short cut off jeans.
Um, the 80's called.....
and they want you back.

-The gym hookers. 
I don't need to say much because you know this type.
And I've probably seen more clothes on a Victorias Secret model.
Yuck.

-The "I'm only here to find a date" college student. 
They work out insanely late
(11 pm?! Even I'm not that crazy!)
Guys are all about muscle-bearing, 
And girls are full blown make-upped, self tanned, and hair did. 
I'm all about not looking like a hag,
But obviously you didn't come here to sweat....

-The all around all-star. 
Aka the incredibly toned woman and and buff-but-also-lean guy who have their ego in check that I imagine and hope that Christian and I will one day be like.
(A girl can dream right?!)

-The Latin men who only go to Zumba.
These guys are my FAVORITE.
Enough said. 

-The regulars.
These are the people you see all the time.
You never socialize with them, but you acknowledge each other with a smile or nod.
You share that mutual "I see you here all the time but I have no idea who you are and I'm cool with that" camaraderie.

-The loud breather.
No like.......
The REALLY, incredibly, obnoxiously loud breather.
We're talking only 5 minutes on the treadmill and they are breathing so loudly that my hair is suddenly re-styled because they are expelling so much air from their lungs.

-The nudists.
These are the people
(unfortunately most often of the older persuasion)
who feel like it's appropriate to walk around the locker room in their birthday suit.
I know you're feeling really invigorated after your Aqua Aerobics class but AHHHHH!
JUST NO!!

Basically the next time you need a people watching fix, 
you know where to come!
(Unless you want to avoid a naked geriatric ward of course.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHA! love every bit of this!!!!

Nicole said...

A very accurate description of the Orem 24 horu fitness. Seriously, you speak the truth.

Didn't I see Spaniard at a turbo kick class once? I feel like he was ultra cool and wearing all white hahaha

Jared + Carly Reid said...

bahahahahaha. planet fitness in orlando matches this as well. whodathought

Autumn @ Autumn All Along said...

The Latin guy in Zumba? My favorite.

Actually, my favorite here is the Latin AND gay guys in Zumba here. They can swivel their hips basically more than anyone and burn about about 3000 more calories than everyone else in the class.

Related posts

.