7.17.2013

wellness wednesday: form is everything

I've been thinking about this a lot the last few days because I'm feeling the pain from an ill-adjusted bike seat. Ouch.

Guys, I'm like the ultimate form-nazi when it comes to exercise.
When the day comes that I finally get group teaching certified, I know I will harp on that more than anything. 
I watch the poor people in my Body Pump class who squat so deep that their toes scootch out passed their knees and it makes me die a little bit inside. Like this lady.
 
He should use that hand to straight up shove her to the floor for that awful squatting form.
Bad bad lady!

It's so super important to have the right form when exercising. 
Unlike this guy, who OBVIOUSLY doesn't know how to use the eliptical.


In running, good form can help prevent hip and knee injuries, as well as shin splints. Good running form also improves your performance and speed, and who doesn't want that?! 
It's the same for biking. 
Form is especially crucial in weight training. 
Improper form will not only increase the likelihood of injury, but it will totally prevent you from strengthening the right muscles! 
For example, if your hands aren't at the right distance on the bar when doing chest presses, and the bar isn't positioned correctly over your body, you end up over-working and straining your shoulders instead of your chest muscles.
Or during your tricep workout, you could just be like this guy who is channeling his inner Quasimodo in the second picture. And who's tryin to do that every day? Not me.

Surprisingly, I think that good form also applies to workouts like Zumba and swimming! It's everywhere!
Your exercise becomes so much more effective and less likely to kill you
(at least no more than you're expecting and intending! ;) )
when you can focus on having the right form. I think if we are putting in the effort to exercise, we all want to maximum results right? I'm a firm (and obnoxious!) believer in the importance and effectiveness of good form. 

So next time you're at the gym running, lifting weights, kickboxing, whatever it may be....
Take the time to observe yourself if you can! Maybe you will notice small improvements you can make, and in turn have a better workout the next time.

4 comments:

Heather & Justin said...

I totally agree!!! Prevents injury, makes exercises more effective. Sooooo important. And I think it's good you will harp on it. It's what I am most often wondering about during group classes!

Lana said...

This post should have ended:

So next time you're at the gym running, lifting weights, kickboxing, whatever it may be.... I'll be watching and judging. So have better form or I might just come fix it for you.

:)

Nicole said...

I can't stop laughing at that picture of the guy on the elliptical. Good thing we learned all about good form at our 5am power class(?!) right?

Anonymous said...

haha I love this! thanks!

Related posts

.