9.12.2014

new mom confessions

Another post about being a mother?!
Are you really surprised? ;)

So lately I've been thinking a lot about my insecurities as a new mom. Guys, they are ENDLESS. Especially because I feel like I didn't do, and am still not doing, everything I could have to prepare. Here are some of my confessions, try not too cringe too much!

- I didn't read a single pregnancy or parenting book, and I still haven't. I've perused plenty of websites, but no actual books. I feel sort of guilty about it, but every time I dive too deep in information, it overwhelms me and makes me second guess literally everything I'm doing. I figure my baby is happy and healthy, and Christian and I don't hate each other, so I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing!

- I am currently surviving on a diet coke and one treat a day. That's not ALL I'm eating of course (I'm the queen of healthy dinners, POW!), but I seriously can't survive without the little shot of caffeine and little shot of chocolate. Again, baby is happy and healthy, so who gives right?

- Sometimes, I just have to let my little guy sit and fuss because I can't muster up the energy to be cheerful and help him. I give it about 5 minutes, and then he starts doing something funny and it helps me feel better. Also, I have a stock of hilarious videos of him that I watch when he's making me crazy. It ALWAYS brightens my mood.

- I feel guilty for not having a firm bedtime routine established for Nash. Is it horrible that I don't bathe him and read to him EVERY single night?

- I also feel guilty when Christian wakes up and helps me in the middle of the night (more like 4:30 in the morning, but you know. Still fracking early!). But seriously, I will go crazy if I have to do that on my own!

Honestly I could go on and on with this list, but I'd hate to look any less perfect than I already am ha! So there you have it.

3 comments:

Kimber said...

Ha oh my gosh woman, ya stop feeling guilty we all do all these things, trust me, I'm probably way worse than you at this point too. Honestly reading books to infants is POINTLESS, wait until 9-10 months and MAYBE he might not just want to eat the book. I don't think it's until a year though that they even care about books, just sing. Maxson always went to bed way late as an infant like 10 pm, tons of babies do. I'd have some friends who'd say well put him to bed earlier and he'll sleep in later and I was like "I'm not putting him to bed at 7 and waking up at 6 or 7. I'd rather put him to bed at 10 and wake up up 8" I just don't deal with early mornings, ugh. Even now, Max wakes up at 8, walks to my side of the bed, questions me with "Go?" wondering where my phone is, he then lays by me in bed for at LEAST 30 minutes while I keep sleeping and he looks at pictures and videos of himself. Now that is lazy parenting. And oh my gosh, yes, I was always asking Casey for help in the middle of the night you are PARENTS TOGETHER, not alone! I did my part (feeding etc) and then if he wouldn't easily go back to bed that was ALWAYS Casey's job. You are not alone Brooke.

Unknown said...

Umm, I love this. As I do everything you write. Totally off topic, but, do you have a subscribe option for your blog? Cause that would totally rock my world and save me time. Cause I check your blog like 3 times a day. :-) if not, its totally fine, of couse! anywayyy. You are definitely not alone. I was just like you in that I felt completely unprepared. But ya know, our boys are alive and happy, so its all good! I give my son koolaid to drink, when really they say that's a no-no. But, he likes it. And I figure he won't die. And... Bedtimes change all the time. Just feel it out! You are his mommy for a reason and you are awesome! Love this, Brooke!

Lana said...

A calm and happy mom is a calm and happy baby. Don't worry about it, yo. Nash needs to know that you are also a woman and you need some of your own things. If you didn't have little pleasures or interests outside of him, what would he have to look forward to growing up? If the world is Nash there's no reason to ever grow up. Well Nash, the world is Diet Coke and Chocolate sometimes. :) So, you've got a lot to look forward to.

Related posts

.