5.19.2011

Today, I want to tell a story.

And I'm just going to apologize in advance if it seems a little too serious or random, because I know I don't do things like this very often.
I just feel like it's necessary today.

Rewind to January, beginning of winter semester.
I had just started the prereqs for the business school, and I loved them.
I was dating a great guy, and I loved him too.
Fast forward a month later, and my world was in upheaval.
I had broken up with said boyfriend.
My classes had taken a horrible turn for THE WORST.
Work was time consuming. Time that I didn't have.
My grades were suffering.
My family members were struggling. And I was broken hearted that I couldn't be with them. 
I was drowning, in every sense.
Mentally.
Emotionally.
Physically.
Spiritually.
I would wake up every day depressed and wondering how I was going to simply make it. 
Not even be successful.
Just make it.  
You know how sometimes when you are playing at the beach and you sucked under by a huge wave? Sometimes the only thing you can think about, as you swallow a ton of  sea water and lose your bearings, is just hang on and make it to the surface. Just keep your eyes closed, hold your breath, and envision the sun above the surface.
That's what it was like. Daily.
I won't go into any more depressing and melodramatic details,
just know that they were honestly some of the most difficult months in my life.
Now I want to talk about music. 
I think I have made it painfully clear that I am obsessed, addicted to, in love, and infatuated with it. 
It has been my saving grace my whole life, simply keeping me sane through difficult, angry, sad, and even happy times.
Last semester was no exception.
In fact, last semester was probably the biggest example of music's power in my life to date. 
One Sunday while preparing a Sunday School lesson, I came across these videos.
Just watch.


 These songs changed my life.   
And do you want to know why? 
Because through this incredible power of music is borne an undeniable testimony of the love of Christ. Of the power of His atonement. And of his unfailing willingness to lift us up when we can no longer lift ourselves.
Burdens I felt like I couldn't bear suddenly became lighter.
My sadness and depression disappated.
Instead of trudging through each day, I started to feel like I could actually make it through each day, and successfully too. 
And this was all made possible through the power of music and the testimony of a loving Savior. 

Life is never easy. And it never will be.
Certainly difficult times will come again, as they always seem to do.
But we can take tremendous comfort in the fact that there will ALWAYS be these consistencies in a world full of inconsistencies.

No comments:

Related posts

.