7.15.2011

reasons why Harry Potter is friggin awesome

Also, reasons why Harry Potter is more than just a book/movie.
Not to get all emotional and super sentimental....
But yeah, I'm going there.
As has been made apparent by the rest of the world, the final Harry Potter movie came out last night. 
Honestly, one of the most incredible, defining events in my life. 
And before you think I'm more of a super-nerd than I am,
(I can admit it!)
here is why there is so much more meaning to the series coming to a proverbial "end" than we may realize.

1. We grew up with these characters. From 4th grade to my senior year of high school, I always had a new book, a new story, to look forward to. Harry, Ron, and Hermione became more than just people on a page. They became my friends. Friends that I could relate to, and love. 
2. Harry Potter has brought millions of people together. 
All united in our obsessive love for the same magical world. 
That is one thing I LOVED about the midnight showings. Everyone was so crazy and passionate. It's things like that that make life worth living. Things that we can put our whole heart and soul into, and then share that with others that we may otherwise have nothing in common with. 

3. Who DOESN'T love a good fantasy-magic-related-tugatyourheartstrings story?!

4. These characters actually teach us something valuable about life. 
Hermione shows us that being a bookworm and having a love of learning, is a wonderful thing. 
Ron shows us the meaning of being a loyal, loving friend. 
And Harry shows us the value of love, bravery, and diligence through difficult times.
Try finding all those lessons in the Twlight series.
(yeah I went there too.....)

5. Finally, Harry Potter has defined this generation. 
The books and movies have literally taken over the world. . Delivered hours of entertainment. Shattered records. And finally, provided a beautiful escape from reality.

Just like Dumbledore so profoundly states:
"Of course it is happening inside your head. 
But why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"

It's moments like last night that make me so thankful for the little things we have been given. 
Little things that deliver so much unadulterated joy.
So thank you Harry Potter. 
Thank you for defining my childhood and changing my life.

UPDATE:
Someone at work (we will refer to her as she-who-must-not-be-named) just informed the office that she has never seen the HP movies, nor read the books.
Also she has never seen Lion King or the Emperor's New Groove.
And to top it all off, not only has she NOT SEEN THEM, she is morally opposed to all of them.


A part of my soul just caught fire and died.

UPDATE 2: 
Remember how I was supposed to see Owl City on Wednesday night?
Yeah well instead I decided to avoid heatstroke and projectile vomiting
(neither of which are something I'm trying to do every day)
and Jenny and I left early. 
Boo, summer heat and overcrowded venues. 
BOOOOO.

No comments:

Related posts

.