4.10.2012

it's the end of the semester as we know it

In 16 days, I will be a married woman.  
I don't even have words to describe how this makes me feel, so I'm not going to try.

Also, when I reach pivotal times in my life like this, I get very reflective.
In doing so, I realized that I have hardly disclosed information about the boring details in my life this semester.

TRAVESTY.

So here goes.
I have been going to school part time, taking an English class, a business lecture series,
and LDS Marriage and Family.... naturally.
We are the quintessential young BYU couple. And I don't even feel bad about it.

I have also been working 2 jobs.
One for the Alumni career services at BYU, and the other at a group home for teenage girls.
Let's just say it has been a very interesting, exciting, and emotionally taxing semester haha.

I had also been the relief society president in my singles ward, and was released at the beginning of February
Given the nature of my two jobs, being in school, and being engaged this ended up being  the most TREMENDOUS blessing.

Given all of these things, I have learned a great deal over the last 3 months.
First, BE PATIENT. 
Both with yourself, other people, and circumstances. 
Nothing leads to frustration quicker than impatience.
AVOID JUDGING OTHERS AT ALL COSTS
 Rather seek to love them as the Savior does. Don't even worry about their circumstances, just love them.
SOMETIMES IT'S OK FOR SCHOOL TO TAKE A BACKSEAT. 
Sister Julie B. Beck made me feel especially at ease about this, as she had similar experiences.
IT'S ALWAYS THE LITTLE THINGS THAT MAKE THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE.  
Walks. Nature. Church. Frozen Yogurt. Conversation. A pretty tree. Sunshine. Laughter. Retail therapy. Service. Cooking. Scripture study. Prayers. A good tv show. Conference talks. Crying. Classical music. Brothers. Nail polish. Delicious food. You get the idea.
DATE NIGHT IS EQUAL TO HAPPINESS.  
If I am already seeing this, imagine how I'm going to feel when kiddies start coming along!
WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS, YOU SHOULD PROBABLY JUST TAKE A NAP.
 Seriously, sleep has evaded me this semester. 
And if there is one thing that always makes me feel better, it's rest. 
Either that, or Zumba ;)
And finally.... THE LORD IS ON YOUR SIDE.  
As hard as things get sometimes, there is always one person who knows exactly what you are going through. That knowledge alone is enough to fill me with joy, and encourage me to keep going.

As cruddy as they feel sometimes, we should be so thankful for our trials. 
Without them, we would never learn so many awesome lessons!

1 comment:

Annie said...

You, my dear, are a kindred spirit. If we lived in the same city, I would totally stalk you in person rather than just in the blogosphere. I'm so sad that Curtis and I can't make it to your wedding; I really wish I could be there. I am SO excited that you're marrying such an awesome guy. Good luck with your upcoming east coast adventure!

Related posts

.