2.20.2013

wellness wednesday: the first bit of progress

Health and exercise are two things I absolutely LOVE
Christian and I have decided to make these a big part of our lives this year, and we will be doing a triathlon in August and a half marathon in October. In order to keep ourselves on track, document our progress, and share these things that I adore with all my peeps,
I have started a Wellness Wednesday series.
Not because I think I'm Jilian Michaels, 
But if you had a great cookie recipe that you LOVED, you'd want to share it with people too right?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


On Monday, I did my first swim workout in.... 
well....
a long time ha.
And it actually felt amazing!
I absolutely love the smell of chlorine, the way it stretches out my skin when I'm dry.The way I'm just with my thoughts while doing laps. Is isn't the most exciting work out in the world, but it sure is relaxing!

And it was so fun to have Christian there with me! 
He has been a swimmer for most of his life, as you can see...
STUD.

Anyways, now he's hired as my personal training buddy and coach.
And man that kid can swim!

Swimming is a great way to switch up my workout routine.
It's refreshing, it's easy on my joints, and it's a great full body workout.
The only downside is that it requires a bit more gear because of the towel, suit, goggles, etc, and in order to get a REALLY good workout, it requires a bit more time than say, running 3 miles.
Also, my shoulders usually bother me A LOT when I get back into swimming after a long time, but thanks to the weight lifting Christian and I have been doing, it wasn't hardly painful at all. 

This is where I want to talk about weight training and my progress. 
Oh Body Pump, I owe you a lot!

Guys, for me, weight lifting is like.... the greatest thing ever
I've had really bad knees for a looooong time, and the one thing that always helps them is weight training.  I'm definitely feeling some of my other joints wanting to rebel, but the more I lift, the tighter my muscles get, and the less my joints hurt.

GOOD JOB, BODY.
GOOD JOB.

Weight training is amazing for several reasons.
First, believe it or not, it's good for your bones. It actually increases bone density along with your muscle mass!
Second, as previously mentioned, your joints will stay much healthier if you have strong muscles.
Third, muscles help burn more calories. And who doesn't want to burn through more calories, more quickly right?!
Plus, look how happy you can be when you weight train....
SO STINKING HAPPY.

Since we started consistently lifting a little over a month ago, I'm finally feeling like I can keep up with the teacher in class. My goal is to be squatting 60 lbs by the end of next week.
We'll see how it goes!
Have any of you had great success or noticed major changes when you are lifting consistently?
Whenever I feel like I'm in an exercise rut, adding more weight training to my routine usually gets me going again. Not to mention the world of wonders it can do for your bunskies, which your husband will likely thank you for!
wink wink

Anyways, I know this might seem horrendously boring and rudimentary. I'm still trying to figure out a good rhythm for this. Don't worry, I've got some good posts coming your way!

Next up:
February's workout playlist
and
 The protein shake that will banish sore muscles.

Happy Wellness Wednesday, all!

1 comment:

The Higa's said...

Can I just say I love your blog! You are so cute and fun!! I'm excited for you and your races, I can't wait to read about them. We tried the Fresh 20 as well! We liked it, but I figured out that I like planning my own meals better, so we've switched things around.

I'm starting crossfit on Monday, and this post got me really excited for it again! So thanks for that :)

Related posts

.