6.18.2013

awkward and.... awkward

I'm the queen of this these days. 
So be prepared, because the stories keep coming. 

So for those of you non-BYU readers (all one of you, but hey....) Cecil Samuelson is the current president of BYU. Past presidents include Jeffrey R. Holland and Dallin H. Oaks, so basically President Samuelson is straight up royalty on campus because we all know that one day he will be an apostle and we would all be stoked out of our minds for that. 

ANYWAYS
So I work in the Hinckley Alumni Building on campus, which el Presidente is known to frequent. 
(Am I allowed to call him that?)
I've seen him several times from a distance, but today's encounter tops everything. I was riding down the elevator, and I proceed to exit on the main floor and who is standing in front of me?!

CEEEEECCCIIIIIL!

So obviously because of his celebrity status, I have a minor excitement induced-hernia, 
and that's when I realize he's on the phone.

So I'm like:
"Okay calm down Brooke. 
Just.
Be. 
COOOOL."
(sidenote: not possible)

But then I'm like:
"Wait he totally knows I saw him, now I have to say hi. 
Because NOT saying hi to the president of BYU would probably equal heresy 
AND I'M NOT TRYING TO GET KICKED OUT OF THE UNIVERSITY AM I?!?!"

So then I'm like:
"Wait, he's on the phone!
How do I go about this?
He's not looking at me, so I can't wave....
But I also can't be all 
"OH HEY PRESIDENT SAMUELSON YOU ARE THE LITERAL BEST" 
at the top of my lungs.
How am I supposed to normally and un-awkwardly address this man of royalty standing before me?!?!?!" 

So then, in what seemed to be the best conclusion in that split second, here is what I did:
I literally whispered "Hi President Samuelson" 
and then walked away as fast as an Olympic speed-walker.
This is probably the face I was making too.

Um. 
Hello. 
Please don't ever introduce me to a non-Mormon celebrity. 
Because that had to be the literal dumbest social encounter I have ever put myself though.

5 comments:

Nicole said...

hahaha that picture of you is the best! You should have yelled "CEEECIILLL" like we did whenever Jimmer did something awesome.

p.s. I probably would've been just as awkward.

Kimber said...

haha, you whispered it? poor man...

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA! That is hilarious! I love it!

Marissa June Savio said...

Haha that's hilarious! I have a VERY similar story with President Clark up at BYU-I. I was practically speed walking out of a bathroom once when I almost literally ran into the prez. I apologized and greeted him at the same time. The apology was in my voice and the greeting were the actual words that came out of my mouth. Needless to say, that moment was saturated with awkwardness.

Anonymous said...

I'm not a BYU-y. That makes 2.

Related posts

.