8.29.2013

change and fall and school and things

School starts on Tuesday.

This is going to be the last fall semester that I have a full load of classes.
It's a strange feeling. I love school so much, but there are some days when it feels like my time here at BYU will never end. And yet here we are. 2 semesters away from just that. It's wonderful and sad all at the same time, and it's given me an even greater sense of needing and wanting to soak up literally everything as much as possible, especially during fall semester, which is my most cherished time of year. 

I've been making tons of lists lately. 
Lists of fall activities. 
Places to camp. 
Foods to eat. 
Halloween parties to plan
Mountains to climb. 
Trips to go on. 
Goals. 
Wishes. 

Somehow, list making and goal setting makes me feel a lot better about life. It gives me direction and order, two things I crave, especially when life gets busy. I love starting a new school year by doing just that.
And I must say, as much as I adore summer, I've decided I adore fall even more. 

For me, the season feels like coming home. It's full of comfort and familiarity, which  happen to be two other things I desperately crave. I know that mid-semester, I'm going to loath the constant mountain of school work hanging over mine and Christian's heads, stealing away precious time. Right now however, I'm welcoming autumn with open arms

I think I'm finally ready for September, with her lingering warmth and chilly evenings, her smell that hints at an impending change. Her football games, her ability to lure me into mellow music and hot chocolate and premature Halloween decorating.

I'm ready for October, with her crunchy leaves and brisk wind. Her thrill because "Halloween is just around the corner!", and the fact that each day of the month feels magical to me. October is my favorite. 

I think I love the changing season so much because sometimes, I just crave change. And fall brings just enough of it that it leaves me feeling refreshed without simultaneously feeling the need to overhaul my whole life. 
And that's just the perfect amount of change, you know?

2 comments:

Lana said...

Autumn is the real beginning of the year. Also, there is no such thing as premature Halloween decorating. :) October is my favorite too. But we cannot think of a good costume. We have a reputation to uphold!

Autumn @ Autumn All Along said...

I have always loved that I was named after Autumn instead of any other season.

I often felt so stressed out with my experience at BYU studying, working, dating, and the gamut. However, you will miss it more than you know once it is over. I feel so old saying that. I'm happy to read about your two last semesters so I can relive mine a little bit :)

Related posts

.