6.03.2015

life and stuff

Ah blogging.
I keep wondering if I will just stop one day and never look back, but I can't quit you just yet!

Actually this is happening because last week I was preparing a talk for church (sidenote: Elder Holland is in my ward and I was having an ulcer about what I'd do if he actually had to listen to me speak, because hello he's the best! Thankfully he wasn't there, and my nerves were spared. Anyways....) As I prepared my talk, I realized how much I miss writing. Thus, here I am.

So a few things:
+ I just finished watching The Mindy Project and GUYS. All the feelings!!!! I wasn't sure how I'd like it at first, because it is definitely a little crass (I'm not proud that I overlooked that and pushed through 3 seasons of sex jokes, but it's out there now and what are ya gonna do about it?). I just love that Mindy is such a real woman, who loves junk food, has her body issues and funny quirks and she still OWNS it in the workplace. I'm always so sad when I finish a good book or t.v. show, and this one especially left me anxious for the final season. What should I watch next? Aaaaand speaking of books....

+ Have you heard of Marcia Lynn McClure? I don't know why I was so late to the game, but I've been devouring her books and I LOVE THEM. They are the perfect blend of history, mystery and romancery (I mean, I had to...). I think the Highwayman of Tanglewood is my favorite thus far. Honestly I don't even care if they are the candy equivalent in the literary world because candy is the BEST, am I right?

+ We are now the nerdy, and proud, owners of memberships to the zoo AND the Tracy Aviary. Honestly though, I will always always always have a zoo membership because it's my favorite place in the whole world and Nash loves it too, so win win win!

+ And Nash! My little love bug is ONE! How is that real? The saying "The days are long, but the years are short" has been hitting me over the head for the last few weeks because it's so true! I'm having so much fun with him right now, and learning more about him and myself every day. It's amazing to see the difference in our bond on the days I'm not feeling my greatest, and it's huge motivation for me to give my all, even when I feel grumpy or tired. It's really hard, but really awesome.

+ And a shout out to my other guy, the one and only Christian D. He works so hard for our family and I love him to death for it! I'll be honest and say that this routine of "dad going to work, mom staying home with the kids" is A LOT harder than I expected it to be. I mean, I thought both of us being in school and working and having a baby at the same time was hard (and it was!), but this is just so different. At least when we were doing that, we had a lot of common ground: tests, projects, jobs, shared time with Nash.... Now we are just both so much in our own spheres that honestly it's hard to connect sometimes at the end of the day. I hate that! I'm only now just realizing the dire importance of regular, BABY-LESS date nights, and thankfully we found a consistent teenage sitter to help us out in that regard.
Also, teenage sitter? When did we turn 30?

And finally an anecdotal story, because I feel like that's actually the title of my life sometimes. So one night last week, I was having a terrible time sleeping (but what's new? It's so rude for moms to have to suffer through that. I mean, my child sleeps 12 hours a night and I'm lucky if I get 5 good hours! Hmph.). Anyways, I woke up at about 3am to a couple men like screaming at each other somewhere outside. I wasn't very lucid, but I definitely heard someone yell for the other to "get out". Anyways, the next morning I was out on a walk and I saw a police car and a CRIME SCENE van driving up and down our street and I was like "oh shiz did I actually hear a MURDER last night?!" So of course I waited inside until I saw the cops come back from talking to some neighbors, and then I casually slipped out the front door with the intention of being like "um excuse me, but what in the freak happened last night?!" Alas, they were all talking to each other and I couldn't interrupt, so I acted like I was on my phone and eavesdropped instead HAHA! Guys, I'm so embarrassing. Anyways, no one died but I gathered that there was some pretty serious punching, a dad, and also someone jumped a fence with a bike. So. This is just funny, because we actually live in a pretty decent area of Salt Lake, but then sometimes I see homeless guys wandering around our neighborhood and I'm like "yep, better lock the door more often". Also I really need to tell you about my crazy neighbor sometime. She has this awesome habit of banging on our door when I'm either in my pajamas or less than that (IT'S HOT!), and if I don't answer, she will literally go to our side door and knock for like a million minutes. Thankfully she's reasonably nice when she's not being cuckoo, so when I get locked in the back half of our apartment, I can climb out the window and ask her to let me in. You know. In case that ever happened, WHICH IT HASN'T. But just in case it ever did, it's nice to know my grumpy and niceatthesametime old lady ginger neighbor has got my back.

3 comments:

Chantel said...

Hahaha YOUR NEIGHBOR!! Cuckoo is right. And that fight scene, whoa!! That's a crazy story! Love that you eavesdropped while "talking" on the phone. Ha! SO classic!!

And I have to say, I REALLY love you talking about the dynamics of a stay-at-home mom / working dad. Because all the time I can't WAIT to be done working, but I have to remember being a stay-at-home mom is serious work, probably more exhausting than my job. And it shifts your sources of fulfillment and all that jazz. So it really really helps me to hear you talk about it.

And, I LOVE when you blog. Seriously get so stoked!! Which is why I read this basically instantly. I totally understand blogging fading away for you. Same for me. It is a WAY fun hobby. But it's definitely a hobby that requires time and focus, of which it seems there is less of these days. Funny because we both started blogging in college, and college was "SO BUSY" to me. And now I'm realizing..eh not so much - I could blog ALL the time!! Haha! So anyway, I hear ya. It's nice to have an outlet of the mind, but also, where is all the time!

Annie said...

Oh, man. I assumed that once my baby started sleeping through the night, I would too. Not so. I'm the lightest sleeper now and don't feel nearly as well rested as I did pre-baby. What gives?

Unknown said...

Okay you don't know me, but your blog helped me survive a semester of Pharmacology at BYU's nursing school. I simply read it instead of paying attention ;) anyways my uncle in law is Ezra Segura which means he's your bishop, right? And how on earth do you guys live up there? I want to live in Midway!

Related posts

.