1.28.2011

The last unicorn, and other things

For the last week or so, I have been in ultimate Josh Groban mode. It's funny when that happens because Josh Groban was my LIFE when I was younger, so I always get super nostalgic. Listening to him for the last few days keeps taking me waaaay back. Which has, in turn, been making me think of other things that take me waaaay back. 
So la di da, here they are.

1. I loved Mary-Kate and Ashley. Like beyond normal loved them. I even had the barbie dolls. In 8th grade. And yes I played with them, all the time. Nicole may or may not have participated as well.

2. I am was OBSESSED with anything animal related. My friends will still tell me that I would MAKE them play animals all the time growing up. I even remember doing things like that at recess in elementary school. How was I NOT the coolest kid on the playground?? Speaking of animals...

3. I loved Zaboomafoo. Remember that show with the Kratt brothers and that stuffed lemur that talked REALLY loud and was super ADHD? I would spend every morning during the summer rushing to get my chores done so that I could watch Zaboomafoo, followed by Arthur of course.What happened to good television?!

4. I was also obsessed with Britney Spears. I remember when I got her first album for Christmas in 4th grade, I sat in my room for like 5 hours straight doing a puzzle and listening to it on repeat.

5. I had this weird fascination with Titanic. I never saw the movie, but I remember being so broken hearted when I couldn't see it that it sent me in to this frenzy where I felt like I had to love Leonardo DiCaprio more then everyone else just to prove that I didn't need to see the movie to be obsessed. Once, the Titanic exhibit came to the Arizona Science Center, and my family and I went. Naturally. At the end, I bought a Titanic board game. 
Yes I still have it, and yes it is super fun to play.

6. I was an artistic genius. *insert sarcastic laughter* Not to toot my own horn, but I was a bit of a prodigy. I actually placed in several national art competitions. The point of me saying this is as follows: I used to sit in my room for hours just drawing people and making up stories about their lives. And I am pretty sure I talked to myself while I sat there drawing. Which takes the goofiness of this obsession to a whole new level.... ANYWAYS...

7. I also had this minor obsession with the pioneers. I read the Work and the Glory series when I was in 5th grade, and that whole summer, I would make my brothers play school, general store, square dance party and crossing the plains with me on a daily basis. The funny thing is I am pretty sure they enjoyed it just as much as I did. They really got into the square dancing part at least.

8. The Kenny Loggins album "Return to Pooh Corner" was my soundtrack from ages 6-now, roughly. As goober-ish as it sounds, I still ultimately love it. Obviously seeing as how it is still my soundtrack.

So now that I have thoroughly embarrassed myself and exposed all my secrets, in other news.... aka thingsIamthinkingaboutmusiclately, because it's been a while since I said anything about music.... Minus the beginning of this post when I talked about Josh Groban, and then later when I talked about Kenny Loggins...

Iron & Wine put out a new album this week,  and I am so intrigued! It is really different from their other stuff, but it's still pretty good. I am interested to see how I feel about it as I keep listening.

Also. Check this guy out.

His name is Devendra Banhart. And he is a semi-weirdo. But I really love his music, 'specially the song Santa Maria de Feira. 
100% PLEASANT.

I am also way in to the Boston Pandora station today. Brad Delp never fails to make me happy. Except for when I remember that Boston is no longer together, and then I am sad. But that doesn't happen very often, so I'm not going to fret. 
But actually I will fret a little because the fact that they are no longer together means this girl will never ever see them live. BOO.

Anyways. 
It's a good day, 
the sun is shining, 
Felicidades!

2 comments:

Natalie Davis said...

First I love love loved this post
Second I remember going through most of those obsessions myself and going through some of them with you ha ha good memmories
Third I love and miss you I love reading your blog

emily janette said...

1. loved zaboomafoo.
2. obsessed with return to pooh corner. that single song is the soundtrack of my entire existence.
3. yep, i'm still obsessed with you.

Related posts

.