11.02.2012

some things i don't usually talk about

When I was little, my younger sister Lauren was diagnosed with adrenal carcinoma.
Cancer.

She passed away when she was 4 years old, on my birthday.


It's been 16 years since she died, as of yesterday. 
I remember when she was going through chemotherapy, I would always look at her and feel like I was looking "up". And even though she was technically smaller than me, I know now that I was looking up to her.
That little munchkin was so STRONG through all of her treatments.
Sent straight from heaven to be our little angel on earth


I love the little memories I have of her still.
Like her obsession with the book Hop on Pop.
And the movie Dumbo.
And how much she always wanted to eat Cheetos and chocolate milk.
And how we always gave our barbies the STRANGEST names.
And her laugh. Oh that laugh!!

It's funny to me that at such a young age, I processed all those things.
And that I still remember them!

I love my sister. And I still think about her a great deal.
Through the years, I have felt strongly that she has always been my side.
An invisible, and precious cheerleader and best friend, always looking out for me.

So this post is for her!
Miss you every day, Lou!


Thank you to sweet Chantel's post, which got me thinking about this tonight.

3 comments:

Aleesha Burke said...

I remember looking up to her too even though I was far away and only saw you once a year or more. I also remember thinking she was the most beautiful little girl too. I'm sure she has been with you and can't wait for the day you two are together again. Love you Brooke!

Nicole said...

I love you, Brooke. And I've always loved Lauren because I know she must be amazing, just like you.

Chantel said...

oh my gosh, this post makes me want to cry. This is the sweetest thing. I KNOW she is by your side. There is nothing like the bond of sisters. Thank you for this post. And thanks for the shout-out at the end. That was sweet of you :)

Related posts

.