3.13.2013

wellness wednesday: why we need exercise

 *glad to know that after yesterday, the general consensus is that I should have a baby. 
It's because we all know Christian and I are going to make beautiful children, isn't it?*
 
So I got this email from Lumosity a few weeks ago:
"We often refer to the brain as a muscle—and new research now shows that the two are more similar than previously thought.
A 2012 study out of Japan investigates how working up a sweat might also increase energy levels in the brain. The paper, published in the Journal of Applied Psychology, is based on careful measurement of glycogen levels in rats before and after exercise.

Glycogen for the brain and body:
Glycogen is a critical energy source for neurons and muscles alike, and it decreases as you spend energy during exhaustive exercise. In muscles, it has long been known that a phenomenon called  supercompensation reelevates glycogen levels 24 hours after exercise. Supercompensation bumps glycogen above even pre-exercise base levels, hence the term.
The question: does supercompensation work on brains like it does on muscles? It does in rats, according to the study. Glycogen levels in five different rat brain areas (which have corresponding human brain areas) decreased by 50-63% during exercise. But 6 hours later, glycogen levels rose to peak at 29-63% times the pre-exercise levels. The boost in energy available to the brain may account for the mental alertness that many people report after a workout.
Exercise's longer-term effects:
Even better, researchers found that the effects of exercise in the brain were longer-lasting. The 2012 study also included a group of rats trained to exercise regularly 5 days a week for 3 weeks. Compared to a control group of sedentary rats, these exercise-trained rats had 7% and 9% higher levels of glycogen in the cortex and hippocampus, respectively.
While the 2012 study was done on rats, not humans, it provides valuable insight into ways that exercise can change the brain. The paper’s authors posit that increased glycogen levels are how the brain responds to difficult metabolic environments—just another example of how the brain can adapt in the face of new challenges."
*   *   *   *
In light of this, I want to share some personal stuff.
My levels of happiness are embarassingly tied to the amount I'm currently exercising.
I really struggle during my "time of the month".
Basically I have PMDD, which is a subject that deserves and entirely different post. Anyways...
I'm already an emotional person, so the extra level of hormones usually turn me into a
Raging She-Woman of Death, Fire and Pain. 
(or something like that)

Mentally and physically, I just feel SOOOOO sluggish, for like a week and a half, 

BUT GOOD NEWS!
There is a remedy for that!
And it's exercise!

When I make an effort to exercise consistently, especially during that time of the month, it's amazing how much better I feel!
Like this lady!
When I would normally be struggling mentally AND physically, just feeling hammered and emotional, exercise gives me an added boost that helps me cope MUCH better.
I feel happier, I am more alert in class and when I study, I sleep better at night, my moodiness is more mild, and I have WAY more energy.

This is one of the main reasons why I am so passionate about my physical health.

Life is hard. Being happy is a struggle sometimes.
If there is one thing we are in control of, it's definitely whether or not we exercise.
So why not take advantage of that and give ourselves the automatic happy boost we deserve??

1 comment:

Chantel said...

I LOVE this! I am the same as you. I already have intense emotions so that time of month for when I always feel sad for absolutely no reason! Exercise is like the one thing to get me feeling normal! I love this!

One time I was in a class at BYU that explained emotions the best I've ever heard it explained. He held up his hand and said "Some people are 3's (pointing to his middle finger). They are pretty even-kill, never feeling a difference between happiness or sadness. Then there are people who are 2's and 4's (pointing to the pointer finger and the ring finger). These people when they feel happy, are happy. And when they are sad, feel sad. Then there are 1's and 5's (thumb and pinky). And when these feel feel happy, they are ecstatic and when they are sad, they are practically depressed." I just laughed because I thought, that is totally me! I am definitely a 1 & 5 kind of gal.

Anyway, I love this post. It actually makes me want to go exercise right now :)

Related posts

.