8.19.2013

a reluctant sprint to the end of summer

Life is strange sometimes. 
Lately it feels like time is zooming by, and we are reluctantly zooming right along with it. School starts in a short 15 days (AGH!), and with it, a whole new slew of responsibilities. And yet, when I look back at all that has transpired this summer, it's seemed to last forever. 

See? Strange. 
Despite this being the busiest summer of my life, I wish it wouldn't end. I love these long days. The hot sun. The lack of school responsibilities looming over our heads. I guess I will just be praying for a long, glorious fall so we can keep enjoying the sunshine (read: happiness) as long as possible before it's time to hibernate. 

But, I'm getting ahead of myself. 

In light of..... well.... a few "summer bummers" that hit in June and July, Christian and I decided we were in need of a break. Desperate need. Like "a few breakdowns short of visiting crazy town" need ha! So last week we loaded up our car and headed south, where we spent the next five days camping in Sand Hollow State Park, hiking in Zion, swimming, and just generally enjoying life and loving each other. It was a little piece of heaven.

We match all the time, so that's good.





 Quaint little campsite. And that view!!!




Angel's landing.
Which should also be called "don't ever do this hike or it might just give you a hernia and you'd rather be dead than finish"

You see that giant mountain and those perilous drops behind Christian?
Yeah. 
You are supposed to hike that. 
And guess what. The only way you can make it is by HANGING ON TO CHAINS THE WHOLE TIME.
Yeah, thanksbutnothanks.
This is not feigned terror, you guys!
Okay maybe a little.
Seriously though, when we tried to hike that last mile, my body was literally seizing up because I was so freaked out. Like, verging-on-panic-attack kind of freaked out.

Get a load of this hunk! No wonder the last week was so much fun!
*    *    *

So I've never really considered myself the camping type.
(Probably because the only time I've done it in the last 10 years was at girls camp when I was 17. And even though I totally peed in the woods, I feel like that doesn't count.)
Anyways, I was pleasantly surprised at how much I loved it. Granted I'm sure it helped that there was a shower and we slept on an air mattress and we brought tons of good food.......
Baby steps people. Baby steps. 

1 comment:

Kimber said...

i love this trip and am so jealous of you guys! seriously, it sounds so perfect, MAYBE we might do this trip in 10 years when we're closer to the mother land of mormons , not so intrenched in dental school, and no nursing babies, we shall see. if i ever do i'll be talking to yous girl.

but i didn't get it, did you do angles landing or not? have you see the smileysproject.com?

i miss you. come to arizona in decemeber. actually, even better i;ll be in maple ton/provo area in october so we can PLAY!!!!

Related posts

.